The trunk desk was inspired by the custom order of the famous British writer, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, for Goyard, which was a trunk that could double as a writing desk. What came out of the workshop of luxury luggage purveyor, Edmond Goyard, was a trunk that features some storage space, a bookcase, and a writing surface or table.
Now that you know what your best options are when it comes to trunk desks, let’s take a look at some aspects that require consideration to make the best selection from the 6 products featured.
When buying a trunk desk, getting the dimensions of the available space in your home or office will make the selection process a lot easier. A good way to keep you focused on your choices is by ruling out the desks that are too large for your room. But, there are a couple of other measurements that you need to think about, so your space is enjoyable to use and efficiently organized like the windows, access, doors, and a lot more.
- Windows - You would want to place your trunk desk where there’s limited sun glare as you work. Also, a trunk desk is best preserved and direct sun exposure won’t do its finish or construction materials any good.
- Access - Consider how the desk will reach its placement inside your home or building. Will it have to go up a set of stairs? Maybe you’d have to bring it across a narrow hallway or fit a small door. If you can bring your chosen desk inside your room without any problems, then you can definitely get the piece.
- Door - Leave ample space so the door of your room can fully open even when a trunk desk is added.
- Room for Movement - Leave at least 4 feet of space behind your desk so you can sit down comfortably or pull out a chair.
Trunk desks may not be the best in terms of ergonomics, but there are certain things you can do to ensure your comfort while using your new furniture piece including the following:
- Position of the Monitor - If you will be mounting a monitor on the trunk desk, it should be 20 to 30 inches from the user’s face. As for the top of the monitor, it should be level with the user of the desk’s eye height.
- Leg Clearance - Most trunk desks are 30 inches from the floor, and they are designed to work well for people that are 5'6" to 5'11" tall. A general guideline to follow is to choose the height (for the desk) that feels comfortable. The user’s hands must rest flat on a surface with elbows down or bent at an angle of 90 degrees.
- Work Surface - Important items that you need frequently for work like pen cups and filing trays must be within reach.
- Desk Chair - A trunk desk requires to be paired with a desk chair unlike standing desks. For you or the user’s maximum comfort, get the chair that has armrests for elbow support. Good lumbar support will also keep the user’s back feeling great even after sitting for hours. Chairs with rollers provide greater maneuverability.
Different materials influence a trunk desk’s appearance and express a certain style. For example, metal gives a more modern vibe and dark woods give off a timeless look. If you want the traditional material to suit your classic style room, wood is your best option. It may be painted for a clean finish or stained to feature the material’s natural grain pattern.
A trunk desk that consists of laminate is a more practical option. It has the same colors as genuine wood, so you can easily mistake it for solid wood.
Although metal like polished aluminum has a more modern vibe to it, it doesn’t take away the authentic look of trunk desks. Metal is also durable, so your desk will last for years without requiring the maintenance that wood needs.
Today, the trunk desk of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is reproduced while retaining its intricate details and impressive presence. It’s often made of wood or veneer with deeply stained finishes and handcrafted inlay patterns. Because a trunk desk is made to be a workstation where you, the user, spend most of the day working, it is important for the selection process to be given due consideration.
Read on as we’ve listed the best trunk desks currently available and some tips on how to choose the best one.