A shade sail is a perfect solution to providing shade or protection for an outdoor space without having to sacrifice attractive looks. Below, we’ve got some expert tips outlining everything you need to consider when purchasing a shade sail for your home.
What type of shade sail should I buy?
The type of shade sail you will need for your home greatly depends on the climate of your area: only some types of shade sail are suitable for wetter or windier conditions.
- Waterproof shade sails are made with dense strands of fabric with pores that aren’t big enough to allow water to pass through.
- This is the preferred protection against heavy rain, however, it should not be used in stormy areas as the fabric can catch the wind and tear apart easily.
What material should my shade sail be made out of?
The material you choose is linked closely with the type of shade sail you would like, and what function you want it to serve. There are only 3 major materials used, and each is ideal for a different function and environment.
- This is the most popular material for shade sails as it is relatively cheap.
- The knitted fabric can be stretched to create the signature three-dimensional shapes associated with shade sails.
- Shade cloth is quite lightweight and very breathable, so it is ideal for providing cool and protective shade from UV rays.
What shape should my shade sail be?
Although seemingly not a very significant factor, the shape of your shade sail will determine exactly where it can be placed and how you can customize it.
- Triangle shade sails will offer less coverage than square shade sails.
- They are, however, more spatially flexible and so can be installed in much smaller spaces.
- You can also layer multiple triangle shade sails to create unique patterns and a wider coverage area.