6 Top Places To Add Wall Sconces In Your Home
| Nov 16, 2020
Looking for an item that's both decorative and functional, immediately gives the room a cozy look, and brightens up a dim corner? Wall sconces are the light that you need in your life (and house)!
There are so many different types and designs to choose from when it comes to battery operated wall sconces.
However, how can you be expected to pick one if you still don't know where exactly you're going to place it?
Here are the brightest ideas to inspire a light-bulb moment and find the perfect spot.
On your entryway wall
Let's start with the first spot that you and your guests see whenever entering your beautiful home:
- If it feels a bit bland, a wall sconce is one of the best ways to decorate your entryway wall;
- For example, depending on your other existing elements, you can place it near a mirror or above a bench;
- We recommend having it between 60" and 72" from the floor and, if you want to add more than one, keeping them 6' apart. However, if you have a rather large entryway, it can easily be more than that.
Above the bed or nightstands in your bedroom
Placing a wall sconce on each side of a double (or bigger) bed is a must if you haven't already got two table lamps on your nightstands:
- In the bedroom, wall sconces are handy to maintain an element of light without spoiling the atmosphere like your huge overhead fixture would;
- Plus, it's ideal if you enjoy reading before falling asleep;
- You can either have them directly above the nightstands for a well-balanced and aesthetically pleasing symmetrical feel or, if you mainly need them for reading, above the bed. A clever compromise is to opt for adjustable wall sconces and place them above your nightstands;
- As a general rule, they're usually hung 5' from the floor, but, personally, we think that the height of the bed can make a remarkable difference. The best way to get it right is to sit like you normally do when reading in bed and check how far up it needs to be from your shoulders.
Above shelves or your countertop in the kitchen
Although it might not be the most obvious choice for wall sconces, your kitchen offers exciting possibilities:
- For example, you could place a couple of them above your countertop to facilitate food preparation and daily tasks. Ideally, you don't want them to be any lower than 24" from its surface;
- Another idea is to use them for a more decorative purpose, such as to highlight your shelves: maybe you have some beautiful recipe books to display? Or some accessories on a rustic, exposed wooden shelf?
Above the vanity in the bathroom
Farmhouse Bathroom Design
Some additional lighting is always useful in the bathroom, especially above your vanity:
- If you use it for makeup, you want your battery operated wall sconces to be around eye level in order to avoid shadows, so measure where that is for you;
- If you were planning on placing one above a mirror, aim for 75-80" above the ground, taking the mirror size into consideration.
Above the fireplace in your front room
Traditional Living Room Design
Another idea for a more decorative effect is your fireplace:
- Adding a sconce will result in even more pools of lights, particularly charming when the fire is on;
- If you happen to have a large artwork or picture above it, you can place it next to it in order to accent it just like in art galleries.
Above the corner table in your dining room
Traditional Dining Room Design
If you happen to have a corner table, then you'll know that it's an area that can sometimes feel a bit dim, especially if you haven't got a window right next to it:
- Place a wall sconce in that corner to add some light;
- This works particularly well if you already have a shelf or other types of decorative elements on the same wall.